Rotting garlic

Jim409(z5 IL)June 17, 2006

Last year in northern Illinois we had a serious draught with only one nasty consequence, our garlic rotted. I know, this is not what one would expect but we lost almost our entire crop. This year, with no drought, the same thing is happening but a month before the usual harvesting time. We have had great crops in the past ten years. We have very little room to rotate our stuff and I am beginning to wonder if this may be at the heart of the problem.

Can anyone with experience with this specific problem please comment.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glenn9643(z8 MS)

Sorry I can't help, but will be watching your thread hoping for information. I had the same problem this year with bulbs rotting before they were ready for harvest.

Bookmark   June 18, 2006 at 8:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plangarden

What I think you've got is called the 'onion white rot' or just 'white rot' for short. We've had it now for 2 years and are trying - using natural means - to eliminate it. Google has a bunch of links if you're interested. It destroyed over half our crop of 400 bulbs last year. Sigh. Hope this year will be better. We do rotate our garlic plantation w/ bush beans to fix N in the soil when we harvest in June/July (we live near San Francisco).

I'd like to post photos of our white rot-infested garlic but where's the photo upload option?

Gigi

Here is a link that might be useful: Onion White Rot

Bookmark   February 1, 2007 at 10:33PM
More Discussions
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™