Globemaster Seeds

echinaceamaniac(7)June 18, 2008

I have collected Globemaster Seeds and have conflicting info about the seeds being sterile. One article said you can plant the seeds and another said they are sterile. Have any of you planted the seed? I'd hate to waste any time planting sterile seeds!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msbernard(z4 cental OR)

hi - Globemasters are sterile. ^The way to propagate them is in late summer dig them up. You will find that 1 bulb now has a 2nd bulb attached. Replant the bulbs right away and so on for forever. The bulbs will get larger and larger and as the years roll by so will the number of your bulbs. I started out with 3 bulbs at $35.00 each when they 1st came out and last summer we had 4 5 gallon buckets of them to get in the ground. They are truly a joy to have. I have people who are not gardeners stop by to see what these round flowers are. After blooming I leave the brown flower until the stems get to weak to support them - it adds some garden interest I think. Then when the bloom stalk bends over is when we dig them up. Replant right away to give them a head start on getting settled. in before winter.

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 11:39AM
echinaceamaniac(7)

Maybe these aren't Globemaster then. They have tons of seeds in them. The blooms were huge. What other plant could these be? Maybe she was wrong about the variety. Do sterile plants still make seeds?

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 12:15PM
cheerpeople

large alliums that set seed for me include
purple sensation
and christophii ( star of persia)

from what I've read the PS don't have as good color from seed
and the latter didn't germinate for me but did for my neighbor ( she claims)
Karen

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
Redwing vs Ruby Ring
Hello, does anybody have experience with both of the...
galinas
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™