onion scape?

brigid32June 14, 2007

Several of my onions have a bulb-type flower (not yet open) growing from a long stalk. Is this similar to scapes on garlic? I'm guessing I should cut them off, but do they have a culinary use? Are there recipes for them? Do I cut right at the base of the stalk, or what? I'm growing garlic for the first time also, but no scapes there. so I'm not sure what a scape looks like. (This is my second time with onions, but this didn't happen when I grew them before, as some local wildlife ate the tops of all my onions before they were mature.) Thanks!

--=Brigid in N. CA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
led_zep_rules(5 WI)

I let the onions flower just because I have way too many onion plants all over the place, so I don't care if it sets them back. The flowers look nice. I grow them in flower beds, too, people are always asking me what the interesting flower is. :-) The flowers can be pulled from their lump and make a cute and tasty mild onion flavored addition to salads. Onions are totally perennial in my part of WI, so every onion my mother or I planted her just comes back every year if not completely pulled out in the fall.

With garlic, it depends if you have softneck or hardneck. You can tell when the scape forms. I think on softneck they look like of like onion flowers, not sure. On hardneck garlic they form really cool pointy swooping things that look swanlike in their curve. I grow some garlic in a flower bed and let it form scapes because they are so cool looking. In the garden I am just about to remove them, was just reading up on the process here before I do it. Was probably supposed to do it sooner as soon as I noticed them forming.

Marcia

Bookmark   June 15, 2007 at 1:13AM
jeffnfran

Well, This the first year we have grown Shallots. I cut off the scape when it formed a bud( just like with GARLIC)
I've pulled maybe a handful of shallots so far and they are the size they should be. Thisd would be a good experiment for next years crop.

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 5:42PM
siegfried

we were given an onion-type vegetable that the local person called 'scapes'. However it's 'leaves' were more like those of a tulip, and the oblong bulbs had less of a 'bite' than one would expect from an onion. Not garlicky either. I wonder what we were eating.

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
what (if anything) to plant with garlic?
Hey all, Last fall I planted a bunch of garlic in 2...
pegleg48
Garlic left in ground over winter
I planted cloves last spring and they sprouted leaves...
garydg
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™