why doesn't all the garlic have scapes?

vaherbmomJune 1, 2011

Hi all,

Seems like last year most of my garlic had scapes on top, but this year so far I only collected 3 scapes. I'm thinking there is at least another week or two til harvest since only the bottom leaf of each plant is yellow.

Is it normal for there not to be scapes or will they still appear before harvest?

thanks so much

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GarlicFiend

Scapes form only on Hardneck varieties. If you are planing softnecks, then you will not get scapes. I have 6 inch scapes on my hardnecks and I am in zone 5, so you should be about a month ahead of me.

Did you plant the same varieties as last year? If so, are you getting enough light to the plants? I can't imagine that scapes will form now if they have not already done so in your zone.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 3:24PM
vaherbmom

Maybe I did order mostly softnecks this last time--I honestly can't remember (dumb, I know). Can't imagine I only have exactly THREE hardnecks, though.

They are definitely getting enough light--where they are there is plenty of sun.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with only 3 scapes.

thank you

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 5:04PM
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

I grow something I call Early Italian Purple which is a softneck and does put out scapes if it gets fertilized well enough. I was sick and then injured at the time I should have been out giving my garlic its late Winter fertilizing so none of it is scaping well, not even the German Extra Hardy and the Music.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
Reasons to Grow Your Own Onions?
We consume some onions and we buy them from local farmer's...
redsun9
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™