Allium Globemaster and Lucy Ball

CricketmJune 10, 2005

I have a question about these beautiful Alliums. They just finished blooming and today I cut them down to dry. Any other suggestions on the care of these beautiful Alliums. I also have White Sensation Allium that are blooming right now. I live in NY, Zone 7. Any information would be appreciated.

Marie/CricketM

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

I leave all my Allium seedheads alone until they break away by themselves later. The seedheads provide interesting contrast to other plants & flowers. This way, I get longer lasting benefits from the bulbs, considering how expensive they are, especially Globemasters.

Bookmark   June 11, 2005 at 3:26PM
Cricketm

Thanks Pitimpinai for your input. I will leave them on next year. I thought they were like daffodils and tulips -- that you cut the flower off after it is done blooming because you don't want them to go to seed. You learn something new every day with gardening. Thanks again.

Bookmark   June 11, 2005 at 10:16PM
Geezer66(Ohio)

If you let the globemaster and purple sensation go to seed, will it take too much energy from the bulb that next year the bulbs will not produce as big of flowers?
I read somewhere that one of these varieties produce sterile seeds. Does anybody have information on this? Thanks. Geezer

Bookmark   June 11, 2005 at 10:20PM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

My 'Globemaster' did not produce seeds. The ones that were well fed and not crowded by other plants came back the same size as before and produced baby bulbs.

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 10:12PM
globemaster(Denmark)

I'm deadheading my alliums - even the sterile ones, and dug up my alliums afterwards. They are coming back each year - whitout any decrease in bulb or flower size.

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™