when does garlic flower/go to seed?

bassketcherJune 14, 2005

How can I get some of my garlic to go to seed? I have eleohant and korean in very small amounts. I was thinking of growing the top set bulbs out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

Elephant produces a very nice flower ball. I have never found viable seed. If korean is a hard neck, then it will have top sets or bubils. If it is soft neck, then it won't.
Elephant does produce varying numbers of small bubils around the cloves/bulb. you can plant those. It helps to scarify the thick bubil skin. Nothing I know of that you can do to change any of this.

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 12:10AM
sparky_10

Glad I read around a bit before posting....this answers my question! I have LOTS of Elephant garlic around my property that I just began harvesting today. Was wondering what caused them to grow back after I pulled up the plant.

Bubils, you say? That's what those little mini-clove looking, dangly things are? Tried looking that word up in a dictionary and gardening book but didn't find it. You think I can pull them off the harvested cloves and plant them somewhere else? Could I give these to friends to grow garlic?

What a wonderful coincidence this is! Just as I'm thinking about this, I visit here, and here you are discussing it.

Bookmark   June 20, 2005 at 9:58PM
paquebot(Z-4b WI)

Bulbils are formed on a stalk above ground and in lieu of flowers. Bulblets are formed underground and beside or around a larger parent bulb. Those elephant garlic "thingies" have been called a lot of things but bulblets should be the proper name unless someone else can come up with something better.

Martin

Bookmark   June 20, 2005 at 10:52PM
gardenlad(6b KY)

Martin, I thought they were called corms.

Bulblets, on the other hand, are the ones found in certain hardnecks that, for some reason, form a bulbous mass a few inches above ground. And bulbils, of course, are the ones found on top, where flowers/seeds form on regular plants.

Bookmark   June 21, 2005 at 7:01AM
garliclady(z7 NC)

On elephants I agree with GL they are called corms.
We havested over 500 lbs of elephant this wekend You ought to see all the corms we have !
Garlic lady

Bookmark   June 21, 2005 at 2:44PM
bassketcher

How do you grow out the corms? Do I treat them the same as garlic cloves?

Bookmark   June 21, 2005 at 3:04PM
paquebot(Z-4b WI)

Look up the definitions of bulblet and corm. Bulblets are "small bulbs produced at the base of a parent bulb" or "small bulb formed at the base of a mature bulb."

Corms are generally part of the actual root system and often just a swollen stem base. Those "things" produced by elephant garlic would fall within the bulblet definitions, not corms.

Martin

Bookmark   June 21, 2005 at 11:27PM
garliclady(z7 NC)

If you google Elephant garlic/corms you will see that most of the time the small thingys no matter what the definition are called Corms.
If you google elephant garlic/ bulbets you will find that most of the references of bulbets will talking about cloves of garlic themselves
Most important is the growers of elephant garlic refer to them as "corms"

Bookmark   June 22, 2005 at 10:11AM
paquebot(Z-4b WI)

Searching for elephant garlic corms finds only the Garlic Store calling the bulblet "thingies" corms! However, they do not meet the biological requirements to be called a corm.

Martin

Here is a link that might be useful: Elephant Garlic Corm Search

Bookmark   June 22, 2005 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
Garlic Plants are Coming Up (Fall 2014)
I planted some garlic bulbs about 2-3 weeks ago. And...
redsun9
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
redsun9
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™