storing garlic?

melonheddJune 3, 2008

Just harvested my first crop ever of softneck garlic. Got a late start and didn't plant until January but ended up with beautiful bulbs, some with a dozen cloves. I've hung it all up in my garage - now what? How long does it need to dry, and how can I store it for eating now and planting in November? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gcdouglass(z1)

I dry mine in the basement with a humidifier and and some years I use a small fan on them if the soil was not dry or if it rained in the week before harvest. When the leaves have no green on them about two weeks I cut the stalk off leaving a couple inches of stalk. I do not braid as cutting the stalk off allows me to store the garlic in a small amount of space. With the hardnecks keeping a couple inches of stem seems to give me slightly better storage. I then knock off any dirt on the roots that I previously missed (cutting and dirt knocking is done outside). Since the cutting of leaves takes some time, a couple days later I usually get around to cutting the roots off. I leave about a 1/4 inch of root. I never have varied this so do not know if this affect storage.

I place the garlic in a plastic shoebox minus the lid and store in a closet in my basement. The basement is dark with medium to high humidity. Ideally I would like the humidity to be much lower so the garlic stores better. Dry storage is much better. Even with the humidity I still have garlic from last fall that is usable. The core of the hardnecks may have a little green but can easily be removed.

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 10:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melonhedd

thanks, gc - looks like I need to find a cool, dark and dry storage area. Not an easy feat here in central Texas...

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 3:20PM
More Discussions
'Moritz' egyptian onion?
I thought I would try posting this again since it has...
shane11
Can I wait to plant garlic?
Hi - I have planted all the garlic I can in the room...
jennieboyer
Garlic "forcing" experiment?
Last Fall I intended to plant rocambole garlic cloves...
tomtuxman
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
How are your storage alliums doing?
How are people's garlic and onions standing up to storage...
OldDutch
Sponsored Products
Jewel 16-Oz. Insulated Tumbler Set
$10.49 | zulily
Shepherd Christmas Ornament
$74.90 | Horchow
Heavy-duty Unfinished Pine Crate Sets (Pack of 5)
Overstock.com
Paradise Charcoal and Multi-Colored Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$192.95 | Bellacor
Dhurries Black and Ivory Runner: 2 Ft. 6 In. x 12 Ft. Rug
$225.00 | Bellacor
AF Lighting Candice Olson Defoe 6665-TL Table Lamp - 6665-TL
$438.00 | Hayneedle
Three Drawer Walnut Storage Table
Overstock.com
Sterling Vista Pivot II 1500D-31S 31.25W x 65.5H in. Pebbled Glass Shower Door M
$501.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™