Super hot garlic varieties

lorabell NC(8)June 5, 2013

This is my first year of successfully growing garlic. I failed miserably last year trying to grow hardnecks down here in NC. I have about 20 varieties this year, mostly creoles and softneck artichoke type. Most as super mild to medium at best.

I'm looking to get a hot and superhot that would work down here. I did have a little success with monviso but the bulbs are really small...don't know if that is normal as I can't find good info on that variety.

Sooo, what are everyones favorite hots/superhots...
Appreciate it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lorabell NC(8)

Oh well.....

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 10:03PM
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

Do not know if the hotties I grow in coastal NoCal would work for you, but you seem to need a reply so here I go:

German Red and Korean Red seem pretty hot to me, one is a softneck the other a hardneck. The Music tastes hotter than some of the others I grow. Of course, all are hotter when fresh than when they get older and start to dry out.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 8:59AM
coachjohn

Might want to try Chinese Purple or Tzan, both are Turbans and should do ok. My favorite is Russian Inferno, not a big garlic. Will knock your socks off! Is an Asiatic but only seed supplier that provides it is We Grow Garlic in Wisconsin. Should grow ok for you. You might also look into Asian Tempest another Asiatic. Ajo Rojo is a creole that I really like and is considered strong. I have grown all of those successfully and I plant in 8b.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 11:47PM
lorabell NC(8)

CoachJohn, thanks for your suggestions. The Russian inferno sounds perfect along with Asian Tempest. I grew a brown tempest and Ajo Rojo this year and sure would like one a few shades hotter ...I've got hope now! Off to We Grow Garlic.
Stil krill, thanks for your reply. I replyed to my message just to get it moving...hated it at the top.;;oh well.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 10:54AM
elkwc(6b)

Metechi is one that is hot and has done well for me.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 12:12AM
More Discussions
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
How do you pronounce Ailsa?
As in the "Ailsa Craig" onion variety Winter...
bakerhardwoods
Garlic left in ground over winter
I planted cloves last spring and they sprouted leaves...
garydg
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™