Sold out for season....!

lorabell NC(8)June 28, 2012

I have been searching the garlic online stores for this Fall plantings and everyone seems to be 'sold out for the season' all ready. Didn't realize I had to preorder so early!

Only my second year of garlic, last year I made the big mistake of ordering from ebay...ja, I know better now. All the garlic must have been top setter clones(extremely tiny seeds were sent to me) because, even though they all grew 1/2 to 3/4 inch in size, not one got cloves out of the 6 types I ordered/planted-just a bulb like an onion! I just scratched that as a learning experience.

So, if anyone could share their ordering sources with me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm looking for softnecks (I'm in NC) and a few creoles. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
largemouth(Z6 NY)

Forget the on-line stuff. Your best bet is ALWAYS farmers markets.

And you said this is your second year. Did you not save some cloves (the biggest, plumpest ones) for the next year?

Buying a few heads in an organic store will also work. Found crazy big purple heads of garlic in a small farm stand yesterday from California. Hate to buy non-local stuff, especially from 3 thousand miles away, but half of these babies are going in the ground in November.

Getting shut out on-line is probably the best thing that ever happened to you. Explore, my friend.

Bookmark   June 28, 2012 at 9:51PM
lorabell NC(8)

Farmers Markets it is then. I am on a mission. The two local farmers markets that I attend I have yet to see garlic for sale this year or last year... but I'm going on a road trip to Nebraska next week and will stop at every stand along the way!

I did keep the garlic this year, it's out curing now. THe grandbabies did mix them all together for me so I don't know the korean hots from the mild sweets... Ahh so is life.
Kinda like that box of chocolate, don't know what you get till you bite into them...

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 7:27AM
austinnhanasmom(5 CO)

I think you are looking a bit early. I've been doing the same...

The online sources are probably harvesting, or soon will be, and will update their sites.

Many state that they will be "open" in August.

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 9:11PM
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

Many folks here on this site including myself sell garlic for planting at very reasonable prices.

We are gearing up to harvest in a week or so so if you have any interest you can email me at madroneb at yahoodotcom for the availability list. We also start shipping in August.

I hope this plug is not breaking any forum rules.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 12:17AM
More Discussions
How are your storage alliums doing?
How are people's garlic and onions standing up to storage...
OldDutch
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™