scapes

zemmaj(z5 QC CAN)June 26, 2006

hello

I left the scapes on my garlic last year, unknowingly. Afterwards, not only did I learn it hindered growth, I also learned how good they are. This year, I have been checking on them and they weren't there, and suddenly, it seems they were there for over a week and somehow I missed them. I chewed on a raw one and it's a bit hard. Will cooking them make them edible or am I too late already. Also, anyone with a good canning recipe for them, I have thousands. I already asked the harvest forum but if any of you have one, I would appreciate it.

thanks

Marie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garliclady(z7 NC)

You didn't say if they are just hard(crisp) or woody. They are typically crunchy and do soften up when cooked if they seem woody try snaping the end like you do asparegus. sometimes the end (that was connected to the plant) has started turning woody but the part near the flower is still tender. they will keep for weeks before going bad so you may be able to use alot of them. Also making pesto's to freeze will use alot up.
We had thousands too and harvested our first in late april and our last in early June. We still have scapes that are fresh. I plan to go thru the last 14 lbs we have and choose those that are still tender for selling at our farmers market Sat . the rest will be dried and become scape powder

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™