Dead and Dying Alliums -- Is There Any Hope?

laura_42(4b-5a Colorado)June 24, 2008

As a newbie, I thought I'd ask for confirmation that I've messed up my first attempt at alliums.

I planted bundles of Lancelot leeks, Candy and Red Stanton and Walla Walla onions the first week of June. When I recently noted that some of their green stems were slowly drying up and withering away, I dug one up. Much to my dismay, the bulb and roots at the bottom were not there, and the buried section of the stem was limp and colorless.

My suspicion is that I may have:

A) planted them too deeply,

b) overwatered them,

c) planted them the wrong time of year (I was hoping for at least some green onions, seeing as I did not plant last fall.)

d) all of the above.

They are planted about 1 inch deep in a raised 8 inch bed, with a peat/vermiculite/compost mix, and I'd been watering them daily, either in the morning or evening; but for a week while I was away, a friend came over and watered them from a water hose about mid-day. Also, the weather has been a bit crazier than usual: hailstorms, and a couple of dips into the low 40s at night, then upper 80's low 90s in the day with gusting hot winds -- hence my watering them out of fear of drying out.

So my question is, is the situation hopeless for an allium crop this year? What could I do differently?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reba_nc(z 7)

I'm afraid it does sound like they rotted. Next time try protecting them from drying winds with a floatng row cover. Sorry

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 12:08PM
momamamo

I just sprouted some evergreen bunching onions (I think they were from Park Seeds). I soaked them 24 hours to speed things up. They came up in 3-4 days.

The pack says 60 days for young green onions, 120 for mature ones. You'd have enough time for at least the young ones. Good luck! Maureen

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 12:40PM
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

Do you think you over-watered them, then? That would be my guess. The bulb is a storage vehicle for water, you know, and is probably designed to go a bit drier as a result.

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 9:21AM
laura_42(4b-5a Colorado)

Thanks for your thoughts, all.

I may just go and get another bunch and plant 'em, just to see if they'll do better on a restricted watering schedule...

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 5:24PM
More Discussions
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™