flowering walla wallas?

toad_ca(z7b Bellingham, WA)June 26, 2008

I planted walla walla onion starts a couple of months ago. Two of them have just formed the start of small flowers (still green and unopened) on stop of the stalks. The others haven't. Do I need to cut these off or harvest the onions quickly? I've never grown onions before so I'm totally in the dark.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reba_nc(z 7)

You might as well pull up those two and eat them. As far as I know onions will not form bulbs once they try to flower.

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 11:19PM
susaneden(5)

Onions will still form bulbs if they flower, but they will not keep, so you wiill need to eat them soon after pulling.

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 9:25AM
toad_ca(z7b Bellingham, WA)

Thank you both.
I read that I'm supposed to "cure" them in the sun for a week after pulling. Is that correct? What does that do for them?

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 11:02AM
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

Hi Toad, good to see you!

Pull your onions up on a sunny day if you can, then let them sit in the sun for another day or so to dry (in hot climates this usually takes just a few hours). This drying kills the root system at the bottom of each bulb. The roots will be like little brittle wires when they're dry.

After drying the onions in the open for a day or so, it's time to bring them under cover for a second, longer drying or "curing" process.

To cure the onions, spread them out in any warm, airy place out of the sun, such as on a porch. Onions are ready to store when the skins rattle and the roots are dry and wiry.

I grew a few walla walla's myself this year. They're so sweet!

Enjoy em!

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 5:50AM
More Discussions
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Redwing vs Ruby Ring
Hello, does anybody have experience with both of the...
galinas
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™