Onion and Garlic Drying

Geezer66(Ohio)June 11, 2005

I think it was Martin who mentioned that he hangs garlic and onions to dry hanging in a tree. Is this ok to do and rain doesn't bother them?
I need more room to dry besides the shed and was wondering if anybody has ideas of where to hang them around homes. I have plenty of trees if that works.Thanks. Geezer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

Geezer,
I will let Martin speak for himself, but I would not leave them to dew and rain. Also I don't hang the onions by the leaves. The smaller tops dry and bulb often falls off the string. You could set up shelves of hardware cloth, say 1/2" and lay them on the shelves to cure. I just spread them out on cardboard but then I have a lot of floor space.
You can hang the garlic in tiers, ie up high and then lower and lower. about 12 to a bunch for the smaller. I do 8 for elephants.

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 1:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paquebot(Z-4b WI)

I indeed have left them out through a rain with no problem in the past but that is not my normal procedure. That tree-hanging was something done mostly with the shallots. If the garlic got sprinkles, it wasn't always intentional! After a brief drying, I've got 4x15 plastic mesh bags which are hung from the rafters of the garden shed. I can only fit about 15 normal garlic bulbs in each so they easily allow air to circulate through them.

Tree-curing for shallots is out now. Apple tree got a major pruning this year and only the deer-hanging branch was left!

Martin

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 1:27AM
More Discussions
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
redsun9
Redwing vs Ruby Ring
Hello, does anybody have experience with both of the...
galinas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™