Hosing Down Garlic and Onions??

Geezer66(Ohio)June 26, 2005

Would there be anything harmful in gently hosing the dirt off freshly dug garlic bulbs and sweet onions? I need to use the 8 by 32 porch ceiling to hang the plants but I don't want the dirt falling on the porch. The allium obsession is getting out of hand and hanging to dry space is diminishing yearly.
Thanks. Geezer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garliclady(z7 NC)

I wouldn't hose down the garlic but if you rub the dirt off the roots , trim them , and rub loose off the bulb you should be fine.

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 11:01AM
fancifowl(5Pa)

i wouldnt wet them either, I have heard it is done commercially, but they might be artificially dried then?

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 12:50PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

I do hose off, but once done, they immediatly sit in my greenhouse on a big open piece of screening with a fan blowing up from underneath them. I do this with potatoes too. Neither have any surface moisture left the following day, but are left in this environment for a few more days just to be sure. Potatoes, however, need to be kept in shade, so I place a dark cover over my greenhouse (just an 6x8 foot size)..

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 12:55PM
gardenlad(6b KY)

I'd always heard that you shouldn't wet down alliums. And I listened to that advice; until the year I had no choice but to harvest out of wet clay.

Only way to remove the dirt was to swish each bulb in a pail of water, and lay it out on a work surface to dry.

Every since, that's been my procedure. I clean each bulb in the pail, then lay them out on a table where it's warm, but not in direct sunlight. Once they're surface dry (which takes a surprisingly short time, during the summer), the bulbs get bunched and hung.

This will be my fourth year following that regimen, and I've yet to lose a bulb.

Bookmark   June 27, 2005 at 3:08PM
vinnyc(7 LINY)

I agree, I always swish them in my rain barrel before I hang them in the shed, no harm done. Just be a little genlte on them, because when the skins are moist they tear easy.

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 12:15PM
ksrogers(EasternMass Z6)

With alll the air movement from below the screen from the big fan, mine also dry quickly as do potatoes. With potatoes, however, the skins are very fragile until they dry out, so you do need a bit more care in handling.

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 9:27AM
TJG911(z5b CT)

sometimes it rains after i pulled the onions (do not grow garlic) while they lay in the garden for a day or two. i dry/cure them in a shed no fan on wire racks for about 4 weeks. no problems.

tom

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
Garlic left in ground over winter
I planted cloves last spring and they sprouted leaves...
garydg
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™