Mellow flavored garlic

redtrilliumJune 27, 2006

Hello,

I am looking to plant garlic in the garden this fall. I am wanting to try a variety of types, but I would like to grow something for my mom, who likes garlic, but not the ones that pack a whallop. Can anyone recommend a variety or two that have a mellower/milder raw flavor ?

Thanks,

Carolyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenlad(6b KY)

For me, Shvelisi (Chesnook Red) has always defined the essense of garlic. It has some initial bite, which fades, leaving only the pure garlic flavor behind.

Elephant garlic would serve her needs. Even though it's not a true garlic it has a mild, mellower flavor.

Creole Red is sweet and mild. Plus it has the extra kick of that spectacular color.

Xian has a very complex, rich taste with just a hint of heat.

Kettle River Giant is a mild-tasting garlic that grows huge 3-5 inch diameter bulbs.

I've never tasted it myself, but Guatamalan Ikeda is said to have a mild nutty flavor.

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 8:27AM
garliclady(z7 NC)

We have grown alot of varieties of garlic but my favorite raw (great garlic taste without the bite) is Morado Gigante.
Guatemalan and Inchilliam are great tasting a little stronger and great cooked as well as raw.

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 11:17AM
gardenlad(6b KY)

Garliclady, do you have (or will you have) some of the Guatemalan to trade or sell? I'd like to give it a try.

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
Garlic powder as squirrel repellent?
I finally got my garlic planted yesterday and along...
OldDutch
How do you pronounce Ailsa?
As in the "Ailsa Craig" onion variety Winter...
bakerhardwoods
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™