My store bought garlic has sprouted

myabbasjoyJuly 30, 2008

I was wondering about a few specifics on growing my garlic. As I have said it has sprouted & I was wondering what to plant it in if I am growing it inside in my kitchen window. A certain soil??? How often do I water it??? I am a very new gardener, thanks for any help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jennifer1979(Zone 10)

I am also wondering if I should plant a sprouted bulb of garlic. Until I find out what to do, the bulb is sitting next to the window for some sunlight. Will garlic work in a container? Thank you for your help!

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 8:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jennifer1979(Zone 10)

I will share a summary of what I've read on other forums and websites...

Garlic cloves can be planted either in the ground or in a container. If you have an entire bulb, separate each clove, and plant them 6 to 8 inches apart. Like all bulbs, each one should be planted with the pointed side up (where the green sprout comes from). There should be 3 inches from the root end (bottom) of the clove to the top of the soil. Allow the plant to flower. Once the flower has died and 2/3 of the green has become brown, dig up the entire plant. Each clove will have produced an entire bulb of garlic. Save whatever cloves you wish to plant again, and cook with the rest. Best of luck!

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 7:26PM
More Discussions
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™