Silver Rose w/scapes

bloosquall(Wa 6)July 5, 2009

I've got 950 Silver Rose (silver skin) plants this year...something very odd happened to them, they have grown scapes. I have never seen this happen before to a softneck. Any other growers out there have this happen?

-bloo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
odalaigh(5)

My softneck garlic does this all the time. Mostly blots 1/2 way up the stem before the bulbils explode out! I think it happens because of my colder norther climate. Maybe you had a rough winter?

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 8:30AM
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

The purple striped soft neck I plant does this, too. Some years more so than others, but generally about 1/2 the crop will scape. This year far less and we did, in fact, have a warmer than usual winter.

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 8:05AM
wcthomas

Some softnecks can bolt if stressed, such as very cold weather. Silverskins are normally considered a strain that "infrequently, incompletely, or weakly" bolt, but they are more sensitive than others to climate.

In "The Complete Book of Garlic", the author Ted Jordan Meredith states:

"Creole and Silverskin cultivars are in groups that are at the genetic threshold for bolting, where environmental conditions play a major role in dictating whether bolting will occur",

and

"Under some growing conditions Silverskins almost always bolt, while under other growing conditions they almost never do."

According to this book, some Silverskins may fully bolt in northern climates, especially if they were grown in warmer climates and then planted up north. Since you are in Washington, I suspect this may be the cause.

Other cultivars that may or may not bolt according to environmental conditions include Creoles, Turbans, and Asiatics.

As an organic garlic farmer Travis, I'm sure you have a well worn copy of Ron Engeland's book "Growing Great Garlic", but if you don't yet have Meredith's book I highly recommend it! It is beautifully illustrated and very comprehensive.

TomNJ

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
Planting harneck garlic in spring (zone 2b)
Life got in the way of getting my garlic in this past...
macky77
Can I wait to plant garlic?
Hi - I have planted all the garlic I can in the room...
jennieboyer
Oat Straw
I've mulched my garlic with a nice covering of oat...
Ricko1
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™