fall planting red onion sets

obrionusa(5)July 15, 2009

I bought a grocery bag full of red onion sets this spring for green table onions. I only used 2/3 of the bag. Could I plant them now for a fall crop of medium red onions, or should I pull them for green oinions? I know they are still good, I just planted a 20' row 3 weeks ago. If I do let them go how long can they withstand cold temps?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TJG911(z5b CT)

planting 3 weeks ago is late as onions need to grow as much as possible before mid june when they start to bulb, put plant mine out in mid april. i suspect those will not bulb or be very small small if they do. as for greens they will be ok for that.

as for the remainder of the sets, you can plant them for greens but i think it is a bit hot now, i'd wait another 5-6 weeks. a few years ago a nursery had many bags of sets that they were going to throw out. this was late august or early september. so i asked for a bag and they gave me as many as i wanted, about 25 or 30 sets per bag. i took 1 bag and planted them for the greens. they grew and produced greens by mid october but of course they did not form bulbs which i knew they would not do.

for what it's worth, sets are the least desirable form of growing onions. they are onions from the prior year dug up and stored for planting this year. as such, sets tend to bolt as they are now in their 2nd year of growth and that's when onions set seeds and then die. plants are a better choice but starting from seed is the best option.

tom

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 11:39PM
More Discussions
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
Can wimpy leeks survive frost?
Hello, I grew some leeks this year, and due to my ineptitude...
plantslayer
Garlic Sprouting!
Which would be ideal....the only problem is I live...
landscraper82
Oat Straw
I've mulched my garlic with a nice covering of oat...
Ricko1
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
Sponsored Products
Empire Red Giclee Glow Black Bronze Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Twin Houndstooth Quilt Set - FLAX
$164.90 | Horchow
Carlton Garnet Red Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Beaded Lever Set - Privacy, Passage and Dummy
Signature Hardware
PH 3/2.5 Outdoor Light Post by Louis Poulsen
$1,196.00 | Lumens