Help me pick my choices and ID one I already have please

andreaz6wv(6b)July 25, 2008

Hi all,

I am doing garlic this fall and was at a farmers market yesteday and a booth had garlic. The girl working it didn't know the name of it, tried to call someone but couldn't get an answer.

Anyways, it's a white bulb and the cloves have a purple skin on them. I bought a dozen bulbs and she sold them to me for $6.00. Does anyone know what kind it might be?

Now, I called another farm I knew was harvesting garlic this year to get some from them and I don't want to get something I already have. They have 6 types this year and they are $10.00 per pound.

Spanish Roja

Georgia Fire

German Red

Bogatyr

Russian Red

Nootka Rose

So, my questions are if anyone knows what the one I described might be and if you had these 6 to choose from, what would you pick? Also, is $10/lb. a good price?

Thanks,

Andrea

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andreaz6wv(6b)

I also wanted to ask if these varieties are all hardnecks?

Thanks again,
Andrea

Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 9:36AM
korney19(z6a Buffalo, NY)

Andrea, it's nearly impossible to know what your garlic is as there are MANY, MANY varieties that it can be. I believe all listed are hardnecks except Nootka Rose.

Here's an EXCELLENT site with pics of many varieties. Start with this link, it will help you understand the differences between types. Then when you're done with that page, click on the link named Garlic in the upper left to go to the varieties and pics. They are listed alphabetically, and with some slangs too.

Hope this helps!

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeff Nekola's Heirloom Garlic page

Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 10:22PM
korney19(z6a Buffalo, NY)

I should have probably said that Jeff's site is one of the best for pics & history. If you need taste descriptions, try places like The Garlic Store, gourmetgarlicgardens.com, etc.

Every year now, I grow Music, Spanish Roja, Siberian, German Xtra Hardy, Simonetti (a large softneck), Martin's, and other varieties. This year I'm growing 24 varieties including 6 or 7 asiatic/turban types that aren't known to do well up north.

Spanish Roja is a good choice and a true garlic flavor, so be sure to try some.

Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 11:29PM
andreaz6wv(6b)

I called the farm today and spoke to someone who told me I got German toughneck? He recently took over this farm and that is what he was told. Anyways, I plan on planting some of that this fall along with 2 other varieties he has. He sells his for $3/lb. I found some Spanish Roja for $10/lb and I will probably order the Music since I hear so much about it, but haven't found a local source.

Thanks so much,
Andrea

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 12:04AM
More Discussions
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
onion cipolla giarratana
i would like to grow this veriety but can not find...
bee456
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Garlic Plants are Coming Up (Fall 2014)
I planted some garlic bulbs about 2-3 weeks ago. And...
redsun9
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™