Growing 'Sets' from Seeds -- when to start?

celestial(Zone-Enabled)July 11, 2007

When/How are "sets" grown? (for later planting)

And, how long will a shallot set-sized bulb keep?

-Celeste

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marystem

Your question made me wonder, as I had been gathering seeds from both ornamental allium and onions and leeks, so I looked it up in my Botanica's Organic Gardening. You don't say your zone, but onions can be grown from seed in warmer areas, and making 'sets' used for colder climates. It says in the first season, sow seed in spring to grow miniature onions (sets), then in the second growing plant the sets in spring.

I have noticed that some allium produce both little bulblets and seeds when they flower. Sorry I don't know more.

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 5:24PM
ourhappyhome(7B)

I'm in 7b. I was told to start my seeds now (I am growing an 80 day indeterminate and a 115 day indeterminate variety). When plants reach "set" size, pull, cure and store over winter. Then, plant out again next Spring. I'm going to try this method to see how it works. If not, I'll buy plants from dixondale farms and try again.

Bookmark   July 14, 2007 at 3:23PM
patty4150(SoCal)

Hey -

I was googling on this a few days ago, and found this advice: Propagate by seed - To grow your own onion sets, sow seeds thickly in a block in midsummer. About 2 months after planting, roll down the tops, forcing the plants to form small bulbs. (Those about the size of a dime work best.) After tops dry, clip them off, leaving about ½ inch of stem. Cure and store in a cool, dry place as you would onions for eating. Plant your sets the following spring.

I am trying this method with two onion types. I planted seeds yesterday. I don't know what it means when it says "roll down the tops." ??

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 4:43PM
korney19(z6a Buffalo, NY)

Roll down the tops = bend the plants to the ground at the necks to stop the growth.

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
Garlic powder as squirrel repellent?
I finally got my garlic planted yesterday and along...
OldDutch
onion cipolla giarratana
i would like to grow this veriety but can not find...
bee456
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™