"Hugh" Blub

Mike0262July 18, 2013

I moved my garlic patch at least two years ago which was on the side of my house. I let the area grow over with weeds, but it appears that I must have left one plant against the foundation. Didn't pay much attention to it until I saw the scape and realized what it was. The leaves and bulb was easily four times the size of my normal crop. (Normal crop has always been on the "small side] I only grow the same stock of bulbs for about 15 years. It is hard neck and I believe German. I always assumed that any garlic left in the soil after harvest would just rot. I plan on plating it in the fall. Any comments? Where did these monster come from?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

I haven't a clue as to what caused it to get so big but definitely use it for planting in the fall. My experience with naturalized garlic is the complete opposite, the plants grow in clumps and the bulb size diminishes to almost nothing.

Rodney

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 8:11PM
Mike0262

Hope that I uploaded correctly. The bulb on the left is my typical "largest" blub that I will harvest. The one on the right is my, well....my Frankengarlic

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 12:48PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I doubt that it is regular garlic but perhaps ELEPHANT GARLIC, which technically, is more like leeks and onions in flavor.

PS
how come it does not have roots ??!!

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 6:24AM
Mike0262

I am sure that it is my garlic. I've been using the same batch for at least 15 years. I hardly ever buy garlic and never Elephant "Garlic". Oh, the no roots? I ran out of my stuff and at first I was going to cook with this baby, just to taste it. After cutting off the roots, I changed my mind and decided to see what happens next year, after planting it this October.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™