Candy apple onion tops dying back

CaraRoseJuly 12, 2013

I've noticed the tops on some of my candy apple onions are dying back. Should I just pick them now or will they bulb up anymore? They're still smallish but definitely useable.

They're in my cold frame and we had something like 5.5 inches of rain recently in a few hours. They may have gotten briefly flooded with that kind of torrent. Think that may have caused them to die back prematurely?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

Typically when finishing up, onions will show a little fading and then start to fall over, bending at the neck while still green. If they're not doing this and actually dying back, meaning browning or yellowing while still keeping the necks firm, they might have had some root die-off due to the flooding.

I'm not sure what to suggest other than keeping a close eye on them and see if they recover. Maybe pick a few and make sure they're not rotten in the center.

The only harm from harvesting early is that they won't keep well and this is only an issue if you have a lot.

-Mark

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:24PM
MickEmery

I've experienced the same thing. We haven't had flooding, but it's rained almost every day. My Spanish onions matured & the tops fell over & I pulled them. But my Candy onions are like yours. I didn't know if it was because they are "intermediate day onions" growing here in "long day" territory...

Mick

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 11:29AM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Obviously, when the top is faded away and the stem is softened, there is no interaction between the roots and the top, MEANING : the bulbs will no longer grow bigger. Then there is no point in leaving the onion(s) in the ground, that in the rainy /wet soil, there is a risk of mold and rotting.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 6:35AM
More Discussions
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™