Garlic rotting?

hobo_42July 29, 2010

My fresh garlic (cured for about 3 wks on a rack with a fan blowing on it) looks like it may be rotting in the skin.

On the surface it looks perfect--the papers are white and the cloves seem firm. But when I peel the papers back, the skin closest to the clove is reddish-brown streaked and tough. It feels moist and the clove inside is mushy and discolored, though not the entire clove, only about half of it. I found one which seemed like it may have mold in between the reddish-brown papers.

Does it need to be dried longer? Or do i have something more serious here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Sounds like they have a problem.

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 8:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sami_k

It could be that your garlic wasn't ready to be pulled. You can of course harvest garlic any time after the bulbs form, but normally (for keeping garlic) you wait until the tops have fallen over and the stalks are mostly (some say 70% as a guide) dry. Then pull them up. Where I live people (including farmers with big fields of garlic) pull the garlic and let it dry in the field for some time. So it seems like that is the most likely problem.

If you want to harvest early, you need to use the garlic up quickly. They sell "green" garlic at the Farmer's Market near me and I have purchased it with very good luck, but I didn't keep it long :D.

Good luck.

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 8:33PM
More Discussions
How are your storage alliums doing?
How are people's garlic and onions standing up to storage...
OldDutch
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
'Moritz' egyptian onion?
I thought I would try posting this again since it has...
shane11
Can I wait to plant garlic?
Hi - I have planted all the garlic I can in the room...
jennieboyer
Oat Straw
I've mulched my garlic with a nice covering of oat...
Ricko1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™