plants between stones in shade

Hobbes_in_Dobbs(z5a NY)February 7, 2004

Hi there! I'm looking for ideas for perennial plants to plant in crevices of a small stone retaining wall near my house that gets basically no sun, but there is some bright reflected light. I am interested in evergreen foliage, creeping habit, flowers would be nice. There's very little space in between the rocks.

Thanks! -Hobbes

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
safariofthemind(z7b NC)

Irish moss would be nice...Sagina subulata. RJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Irish moss

Bookmark   February 7, 2004 at 7:21PM
waplummer(Z5 NY)

Ferns especially maidenhair speenwort, ebony speenwort, Virginia polypody, fragile fern, berry bulblet fern and Japanese painted fern are some possibilities.
Flowering plants; Ramonda, Campanula rotundifolia, other low-growing campanulas, Corydalis lutea (blooms from spring to fall). A lot of plants have self-seeded into my walls. if you have seeds of rock garden plants or other small plants, you might try sowing seeds in the crevices.

Bookmark   March 15, 2004 at 9:22PM
sheryl_ontario(Muncho Lake, BC z2)

violets are nice too, and easy to grow in small spaces between rocks, but very prolific!

Bookmark   April 9, 2004 at 3:35PM
MeMyselfAndI(5/6 central OH)

They're herbaceous, but some creeping Sedums would add interest. I know 'dragon's blood' can take mostly shade. Slightly less colorful that way, but still an eye-catching plant.

Bookmark   April 11, 2004 at 11:26AM
altoraMA(5/6 MA)

what about ajuga? in mild winters it is evergreen, flowers in the spring. quick spreader.

Bookmark   April 26, 2004 at 10:00AM
chinacat_sunflower(7)

another vote here for Corydalis- I had one drop seeds without knowing what would happen- now, I have five little ones in cracks in my cement wall, plus about 15 others which I have moved to other areas of the garden- the flowers aren't much, but the lacey foliage is to die for :)

Bookmark   April 28, 2004 at 8:20AM
kitova(z6 NJ)

i have a creeping sedum that volunteered in my yard, which i transplanted into my bed only to have it take over there... wonderful bright green plump creeping foliage and tiny little yellow blooms in late spring/early summer. i threw some down below my retaining wall where there is limited sun and lots of rocks, and this year, well! there are a few more where i DIDN'T put them. and i've been thinking about what to put there at minimal cost to cover all the rocky slopes i have.

try sedum, everyone says they are for sun, but my experience has seen different. better yet, ask me to send you some in an exchange. :P

Bookmark   April 29, 2004 at 4:29PM
More Discussions
Where do you all get your rocks?
I am rock crazy. Just ask my husband. On a recent trip...
Karen in 4
where to buy this dianthus
Hello! I lost all of these mini dianthus plants over...
dahlia6
When Do Hens & Chicks Bloom?
The little plant stake/description that came with my...
bmurphyfl
How do I clean 'rusty' rocks?
I hunted for dozens of nice rocks last year, hauled...
shadedjc
Sempervivium coming out of winter dormancy
I'm in Vermont and greens signs of spring are only...
vermontgirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™