Growing garlic - possible in zone 4??

mdgardengurl(MD Zone 7)July 5, 2006

I have a friend in zone 4 who wants to know if she can grow garlic. Here in zone 7, I plant in fall, overwinter, and harvest in July. If anyone knows if it's possible to grow garlic in zone 4, I would really appreciate you letting me know. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
makalu_gw(z5b NY)

As long as your friend chooses the right varieties, I think garlic will do just fine in zone 4. There are several folks on this forum that grow hardneck garlic in zone 4 - from northern New England through the upper Midwest - so it's definitely possible and with good soil, fall planting and a little help from the weather, your friend should get really good yields. Encourage them to give it a shot ... garlic is one tough plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Minnesota garlic for cold climates publication

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 4:41PM
mdgardengurl(MD Zone 7)

Thanks so much for the information and link. My friend will be very happy! :)

Bookmark   July 6, 2006 at 1:57AM
bloomville(z4 NY)

I grew my first crop of garlic in Zone 4 this summer--& just harvested 24 beautiful plants. What I did was go to my local farmer's market last fall and buy heads of two varieties that the farmer had grown locally (i.e., in my zone). I planted the cloves in October and was delighted to find them green and gorgeous when I returned to my garden (from the city) in March--when all else was brown and dormant.

Perhaps your friend can find good, local varieties--or locally adapted/appropriate varieties by paying a visit to the nearest farmer's market in the late summer/early fall.

Bookmark   August 3, 2006 at 7:57PM
sallym(z4 MN)

I harvested my first crops in July. I amended my soil heavily with compost and planted Inchellium Red (softneck) Chesnok Red and Red Czar (hardnecks) in October and mulched heavily with straw. They came out great! Very satisfying to grow and great taste!
Sally

Bookmark   August 6, 2006 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
How do you pronounce Ailsa?
As in the "Ailsa Craig" onion variety Winter...
bakerhardwoods
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™