Garlic losing flavor when cooked?

wertach zone 7-B SCJuly 30, 2012

I grew Italian Late and German Porcelian garlic over the winter, first time growing them. I harvested and cured them a few weeks ago.

I brought in 2 heads to cook with this weekend. I used a clove in some scrambled eggs and I couldn't taste it! I ate a raw clove and it was hot and strong.

I put a whole peeled and crushed 2 1/2" head in the crock pot with about a quart southern peas. No garlic flavor, only a hint of garlic in the smell!

I got them mixed up so I'm not sure which is which. I think it is the Italian since it has a red tint on the skin.

Are they just supposed to be eaten raw? I'm baffled!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
austinnhanasmom(5 CO)

I read that to tame the flavor, add garlic at the beginning of cooking and to keep it hot, add at the end.

Maybe the duration and temps affect the flavor?

The kinds that I have are usually overwhelming when raw but still have a punch once cooked.

I don't have either that you have.

Spanish Roja is a favorite at our house.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 8:20PM
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

My thoughts:
Until it cures to the point that the skin is dry around the inner clove, garlic still in the 'fresh' state. As you found out, fresh garlic loses it's flavor very quickly when cooked.
Add it towards the end of cooking or use it raw if you want more bite.

When your garlic cures for about 6 weeks or so, depending on conditions, it'll have more bite to it and will continue to gain in storage.
Keep in mind that Italian late and german white are both only mild-medium flavored garlics and will never be super potent.

-Mark

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 1:28AM
gardenunusual(5b)

Wertach,

I cooked my Shantung Purple and experienced the same as you. However, Spanish Roja just was amazing in a sauce I made. I've read depending on the soil and growing conditons, the flavors fluctuate. And yes, some are better fresh, some better cooked. Like Austinnhanasmom, the Spanish Roja is a favorite, this is my first time trying these as well as the SP. They say, garlic isn't just garlic, it's fun to experiment and see how different they really are. As Madroneb says, the flavor does get better with age.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 12:52PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

Thanks Mark, The skin wasn't dry around the inner clove, just the outside cloves.

I reheated the peas and added some fresh crushed and chopped after taking them out of the microwave, I let it sit about 10 minutes. Yummy!

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
Starting onions indoors from seeds, in pots?
Can onions be started by planting maybe 50 or more...
dab07
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
Reasons to Grow Your Own Onions?
We consume some onions and we buy them from local farmer's...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™