Can I Grow It and When?

brkieffner(5B)July 13, 2011

I am wanting to plant garlic, onions and shallots among my roses and some of my beds. Everything I've read talks about Shallots and Garlic generally being Fall planted, however the Purdue Horticultural PDF for Indiana mentions that they are Spring planted. This results in smaller bulbs though. In my zone, would I be okay planting them in the Fall? Can onions be Fall planted like the garlic and shallots? And last but not least, when should I plant them? September? October? I'm new to growing these babies but I LOVE roasted onions and I use garlic in almost everything and shallots I've always wanted to try.

Thanks for all the help and opinions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wolverine1012

We just harvested some of our onions and all of our garlic today. The onions were planted in late April from plants and the garlic last September from bulbs.
I've never tried fall planting onions. I'd be afraid of them bolting next year making your crop worthless.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 7:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jennyzone5(6)

I'm in Northern KY, 2hrs from Indy. I planted garlic for the first time in early March. I harvested one
about a week ago and the cloves are so tiny that it's probably not even worth the time to peel them. :(

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
Garlic Sprouting!
Which would be ideal....the only problem is I live...
landscraper82
Garlic green die back?
So my garlic bulbs must have sprouted in November during...
urban_will
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™