elephant garlic

albertar(z7 LINY)July 6, 2005

Hi

I'm relatively new to this forum but have been reading most of the postings, including searching for more info on elephant garlic. I had bought a head of it in the fall, planted it and just harvested it the other day, have to say I'm happy with the way it turned out, but my question is :can garlic be planted in the same area it grew in previously or does it need to be rotated as with other crops? The area I planted it in (small raised bed) had held carrots the year before, I pulled the carrots in the fall, dug in some compost then planted the garlic bulbs, left them over winter, mulched with oak leaves and waited patiently to see them die down, pulled them and was thrilled with the harvest. Thanks in advance for all answers.

Alberta

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellen_(z5 NY)

I don't know if all will agree, but as long as the soil is worked and fed, I'd say sure. I plant a lot of my garlic exactly where it was the year before. I have a small yard with limited space. As some crops need more sun than garlic, such as peppers or tomatoes, it often has to get relegated to areas which are sunny, but not ideal for the former. I just rework the soil toward the end of the summer, add more compost and bonemeal and then plant. Once the plants are up in the spring and it has begun to warm up, I start feeding it with seaweed and more compost. Garlic likes loose soil with lots of organic matter. As long as your soil is welll-fed, I think you'll be fine.

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 2:25PM
albertar(z7 LINY)

Thanks Ellen, I too have a small yard, and as long as I know what to do now, I'll do it, :)
Alberta

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 4:59PM
Nelz(z5b/6 NW PA)

Alberta, welcome!

I agree with Ellen. The main problems with not rotating are build up of pests, and reduction in soil quality.

So, as long as pests are not an issue, and you are mindful of feeding your soil, paying attention to the crops special needs, I would think you'd be okay.

Bookmark   July 7, 2005 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
garlic suppliers
Buying garlic is sure hard. I have saved the best of...
little_minnie
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
Planting harneck garlic in spring (zone 2b)
Life got in the way of getting my garlic in this past...
macky77
Sponsored Products
Mister Elephant Fleece Throw Pillow
$27.99 | zulily
Solid Brass Elephant Cabinet Knob
Signature Hardware
Ceramic Elephant Figurine
$24.99 | zulily
Pink Elephant Dish Brush
$6.99 | zulily
Mister Elephant Fleece Throw Pillow
$27.99 | zulily