Newbie questions!

hisgirltoo(5aNY)July 24, 2006

Hi all,

I planted 5 cloves last fall, given to me by my sis-in-law, variety unknown. All have survived my ignorance, and are now starting to die off. I have harvested 3 of them, and have some questions...

Under the garlic, above the root system, Im finding small round cloves? bulbils? rounds? Im not sure wha they are, can someone enlighten me, and tell me what the heck to do with them? Does their presence mean Ive done something right, or something wrong? I left a few in the ground, not knowing if that was the right thing to do, or not. I am also drying several, along with the garlic.

Also, while performing a search for these nodules, I came across reference to rounds, vs cloves. what are rounds?

Thanks for your help, in advance!

thanks!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenlad(6b KY)

Welcome to the world of garlic growing, HisGirlToo.

Sometimes, for various reasons, when a bulb forms, it does not differentiate into separate cloves. Instead it forms one solid ball. Those are called rounders.

Presumably, that's what you have?

You can eat them, thinking of them as a giant clove. Or you can cure them, and replant them this fall. Next year they will differentiate into cloves, and the entire bulb will be considerably larger than the rounder.

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 10:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hisgirltoo(5aNY)

Hmmm, thanks GardenLad...looks like I've got all rounders so far, unfortunately...one more of my SIL's to harvest, and one clove that sprouted from a store-bought garlic. I guess I'll replant the rounders later this fall.

thanks for your help!
Hisgirltoo

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 8:51PM
More Discussions
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
Kelsae starts
I have done lots of research but am curious to when...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
How do you pronounce Ailsa?
As in the "Ailsa Craig" onion variety Winter...
bakerhardwoods
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™