Grocery Store Garlic is no Good

achang89(Z6)July 17, 2014

I know that grocery store garlic was sprayed on. So gardeners should plant them.

I have quite a few cloves of garlic that sent out greet shoots. So instead of throwing them away, I planted them. From the beginning, they grew a couple of inches. But have stopped growing. I think the spray made them not to grow any more.

I just do not know why they sent out the green shoots in the first place.

I'll probably dig up them and use them. Then get the good garlic in the fall for planting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancedar(z7NC)

They are probably from China since a whole lot of garlic is coming from there. We have no idea what they use as a sprout deterrent but 9 out of 10 cloves I've purchased have a dark heart. Not good eating.

IMO ordering garlic to plant online is preferable but you may want to check farmers in your area that offer garlic at their farmers markets stands and plant those. They would be local and grown in the right climate you live in.

Nancy

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 8:20AM
hortster(6a, southcentral KS)

A great reason to grow your own garlic is to ensure that it hasn't been treated with growth inhibitors, fungicides, insecticides and/or bleached with chlorine to make it look whiter. At a minimum, imported garlic has been treated with growth inhibitors and likely one or more of the others.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 10:38AM
drmbear

When did you plant it? That you are writing this message now, all garlic growing will die back around now.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:01AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

I have never had a problem with grocery store garlic. I plant it all the time, and when the green turns straw color, I just hang the garlic in the shade to dry. No problem. Free garlic.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 3:30PM
OldDutch(4)

Better order you fall seed garlic pretty soon. A whole lot of sources are already sold out for 2014.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 10:27PM
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

Check Portland OR craigslist for a great garlic seed source. :)

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™