How to clean my new rock walls...

scully931(6)March 29, 2007

Hi,

I purchased a house last October and am finally getting out to spruce it up a bit. There are very old rock walls, which are really cool, but in addition to the moss overtaking them, there is a white (very hard)scaly substance on them. I have tried wiping it and scraping it off with garden tools and it barely budges. Not sure if it is some sort of calcium deposit or what. I have included a picture. Thank you for any advice in removing the substance!

~Deb =-)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pudge 2b

Power washers do some amazing things on rocks- if you know someone who has one, or rent one, it might be worth a try.

Maybe lime residue? Vinegar might help, but it would kill any plants (including the moss) as well.

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 5:47PM
dogridge(7b nc)

It looks like lichen. I would leave it, looks neat to me. Nice wall BTW.

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 7:56PM
catrina

I agree it's lichen and I think it looks nice and natural. Probably took 50 years to grow.
Catrina

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 10:20AM
maureen1953(Z4 Central NY)

Lots of people would kill for old stone walls covered with moss and lichen.... it helps to give maturity to garden plantings and represents years and years of environmental effects on the wall....instead of fighting it and trying to remove it, try to learn to appreciate it and see how it enhances your plants and flowers! Add some creeping sedums and thymes to fill in between the cracks of the rocks, beautiful!

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 11:29AM
maureen1953(Z4 Central NY)

Just looked at the pic of your steps and wall, how lucky you are to have such a beautiful stone setting for your alpine and rock garden plants!

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 11:41AM
pfmastin(8 N. Carolina)

I agree....it's wonderful.

Bookmark   June 16, 2007 at 8:59PM
cynandjon(Z 5/6)

Yep thats lichen, I agree with the rest. Moss and lichen are natural and beautiful. below is a link if you would like to read it, scroll down to lichen ecology.

Here is a link that might be useful: lichen ecology

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 8:02AM
mamacotti(6)

Hi. I'm new to this forum and was just scrolling thru and saw this post.

OH MY GOODNESS! I know what you mean about those white spots. I think they are HORRIBLY UGLY and you should be very, very concerned about them. In fact I think you should immediately dig those particular stone steps up and ship them directly to me.

I have a way to...umm,...dispose of them properly and you won't have to worry about them any more, okay?

Just PLEASE be careful digging them up and don't knock off ANY of the gorgeous...I mean horrible, ugly, and probably even deadly lichen. ;)

Suzie

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Can you grow Sempervivum from seed?
I am in the process of starting a rock garden around...
kim31kim
Is this soil mix good for rock garden, and these plants???
This Wednesday a truck full of 25-to-30 200lbs moss...
rinomanfroni
where to buy this dianthus
Hello! I lost all of these mini dianthus plants over...
dahlia6
Fairy, gnome miniature gardens
Is anyone using alpines in miniature container gardens?...
Fleur
Why is this happening
I have a Fraser Fir tree in very rich black soil (lot...
crazyraisin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™