Washing garlic after harvest

wcthomasJuly 11, 2006

While most growers seem to recommend that garlic not be washed with water after harvest and before curing, I have found some who do say to wash. This year I washed my softnecks with a strong but fine spray from the hose after digging, set them in the sun for an hour to dry, and then hung them under a roof to cure. They look so nice when clean and I have not observed any problems, but wanted to see what others have experienced.

Thanks,

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenlad(6b KY)

You're right on both counts, Tom.

Most authorities recommend against washing. But several of us here, me among them, wash all the time.

Rather than using a hose, I swish them around in a pail of water, one at a time, until all (or most) of the dirt has come off. Then I do pretty much as you do, letting them air dry, and then hanging.

I do not set them in the sun, though, because that can actually cook the cloves. Instead, I lay them out in a warm, airy location out of the sun. And as soon as they are dry they get bundled and hung to cure.

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 9:09PM
wcthomas

Thanks, Gardenlad! Just wanted to make sure there was not some unknown harm I needed to worry about.

Bookmark   July 13, 2006 at 9:10PM
gardenlad(6b KY)

The only possible harm is if they remain wet for any length of time. That can lead to rot.

But even if they're damp, they should cure properly when hung. That's no different, really, than lifting them from moist soil and hanging directly.

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 10:00AM
More Discussions
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
redsun9
Garlic Plants are Coming Up (Fall 2014)
I planted some garlic bulbs about 2-3 weeks ago. And...
redsun9
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™