onion harvesting question

JLem(6b)July 17, 2013

Apologies for asking a basic question that has probably been answered before somewhere in the annals of the forum....

I have a small patch of yellow Stuttgarter onions that seem to have done quite well (planted from sets). At the moment all the stalks have fallen over, but are still green. I can see the shoulders of nice-sized bulbs in the soil. Can I harvest these now? Should I? Can they stay in the ground longer? I was expecting to harvet them once the stalks turned yellow/brown, but I don't want to prolong things if they should be pulled up now.

Also, one, and only one plant has bolted and is now flowering - does this mean anything? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

You certainly could pull them up now but if the leaves are still green then the onion bulbs could still get a bit bigger. If it were me, I'd wait a bit longer to harvest them. Of course, I'd pull a few up early to use fresh as needed.

Yep, it means the one that bolted should be pulled up and eaten. Onions that flower won't store well.

Rodney

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 6:11PM
JayLai

They sound ready to me. I pull all my onions and shallots once half of them have fallen over.

I'm in western Washington, and the mold issue on onion stalks is rather tedious. I think they *might* get bigger, but not enough to leave that mold in the garden any longer than I need to.

Jeff.

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 6:55AM
JLem(6b)

Thanks for the advice. How do I know if mold is an issue here? Is it obvious on the stalks/bulbs?

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 4:08PM
More Discussions
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
Do you soak your garlic before planting?
Was wonering how many do the overnight soak treatment...
obrionusa
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™