Planting Onions After the Summer Solstice

peter_6July 4, 2008

I planted a second onion crop (sets) in late June. I was told that the hours of daylight would be all wrong and the crop wouldn't prosper. What is the truth of the matter? Regards, Peter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

A lot depends on what part of the country you live in. There are short day and long day onions. Maybe the Dixondale Farms site will be able to steer you in the right direction.

http://www.dixondalefarms.com/

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 11:39AM
makalu_gw(z5b NY)

I've never done it but I'm pretty sure planting onions in June isn't going to work for exactly the reason you were told. Onions are photoperiod sensitive and form bulbs when the days lengthen and get to a specific amount depending on the type of the onion. What you should get would be a bunch of onion tops that you could use for scallions but I doubt you'd get bulbs since by the time the onions have enough top growth to give a decent bulb, you'll be out of the daylight they want.

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 1:52PM
peter_6

Thanks for the info. I'm in southeast Michigan. Regards, Peter.

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 5:45PM
TJG911(z5b CT)

mi? will not work. period. you'll get scallions and that's ok but not bulbs.

i planted 200 sets (i hate sets and advice always to NEVER use sets) i got in mid september for free from a nursery as they were tossing them. i got nice scallions and that was what i expected.

tom

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 7:49PM
peter_6

tig: seeds, or plants for best results? If seeds, do you start them indoors? Regards, Peter.

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 6:28PM
makalu_gw(z5b NY)

Peter - either will work though you have more flexibility with seeds. For plants, they go in about early April for your zone (about a month before the last frost) and seeds are started indoors around 10 weeks before the last frost date (you want them to be about the thickness of a pencil when they're set out).

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 8:08AM
TJG911(z5b CT)

makalu pretty much summed it up.

personally, i'd go with seeds for the ability to get the variety you want. of course then you need promix as a stating medium, grow lights would help greatly. plants do fine as long as you buy them local and don't stress them in shipping. at least you can look at them before you buy them.

tom

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 3:03PM
More Discussions
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
Garlic Plants are Coming Up (Fall 2014)
I planted some garlic bulbs about 2-3 weeks ago. And...
redsun9
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™