starting an alpine garden/ rock garden

chairmanmeowApril 23, 2008

i am living in north carolina and have a very sunny dry area in the corner of my yard. i am wanting to start an alpine garden with some other kinds of succulents. i have been looking at the web for help-- but i seem to be stuck. can i mix succulents and alpine flowers-- is it to hot here for alpine breeds. how should i start?? any advice or tips are helpful. i am very familiar with succulents and how to grow/care for them. it is more the 'alpines' and rock gardening that i am wondering about.

thanks anyone!!!

anna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leftwood(z4a MN)

In many mountainous areas, depending on which side of the mountain range you are, you can have moist or dry climates. But cooler weather in general is in common to both. There are alpine succulents, like Delosperma, Orostachys and Sempervivum species along with cacti like Escobaria, Echinocereus and Pediocactus species. There may be some sedum species native to your area. Of course the other common climatic factor for all alpines is dry air, and windy. But most Penstemon and Agastache species will do well in dry, poor soil, and relatively hot climates.

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 6:40PM
More Discussions
using a cold frame
Hi,just getting into alpines,not bothered about a greenhouse...
mambrino
Is this soil mix good for rock garden, and these plants???
This Wednesday a truck full of 25-to-30 200lbs moss...
rinomanfroni
Too many rocks!
I've got way too many rocks in my front and backyard....
Shimmy23
Xeric gardening 101 help - Agave
Dear Friends, If I have posted on a wrong forum please...
mountaingrown
where to buy this dianthus
Hello! I lost all of these mini dianthus plants over...
dahlia6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™