First Year Growing Garlic

herbalcroftJuly 25, 2013

For those of you who want to laugh please don't. This was my first year growing garlic in containers and I waited patiently to harvest only to have such small bulbs. I planted in September in Maine in Pro-Mix with cow manure compost and fertilized with Miracle Gro along the way.

I am disappointed, but not discouraged. I'm assuming I have to supplement the soil a bit more. Any good soil ideas for garlic? Please let me know, I've ordered more garlic for this year and would like to have a larger harvest. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
braeburn040(2B/3 BC)

The garlic looks great, it's hard to visualize the size, what is the biggest diameter? It sounds like you did all the right things, it may have been the type of garlic you bought. All the cloves look properly formed and the root system looks good. I'd give you an "A"

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 9:59PM
bosaapje

I grew all my garlic (Sixteen varieties) in pots and planters this last year because we had to move in December and I needed them to be portable. I think I let them dry out too early and forced early maturation which resulted in smaller bulbs for me too. Of course the very large bulbed varieties are still quite large but still suffered some.

Also, if you plant garlic too close together the roots will compete. It's not enough to give the bulb room, you must give the roots room. I've read they need 49 square inches per plant which would be 7x7" on grid. Some recommend 5-6" in-row spacing and 10" row spacing. "The Complete Book of Garlic" is a great resource and I used it frequently. It's EXTREMELY detailed. You can skip all the parts about genetics if you want. :) Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Complete Book of Garlic

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 12:20AM
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

I agree with braeburn040. Those are some good looking garlic. It's not always about the size, it's about the reward of harvesting something you grew.

How close did you plant them together? How big were the containers? And how often did you fertilize?

Rodney

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 6:52PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Nice harvest.
Smaller size could be due to the variety or the growing conditions. All in all very impressive for a first timer.

Growing garlic requires leaning a lot of trick of the trade. Some varieties grow better than others in a given location, some not so good.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 3:30AM
More Discussions
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
Garlic "forcing" experiment?
Last Fall I intended to plant rocambole garlic cloves...
tomtuxman
Can I wait to plant garlic?
Hi - I have planted all the garlic I can in the room...
jennieboyer
Garlic green die back?
So my garlic bulbs must have sprouted in November during...
urban_will
Planting harneck garlic in spring (zone 2b)
Life got in the way of getting my garlic in this past...
macky77
Sponsored Products
Birdhouse Outdoor Mat - 24" x 36"
Grandin Road
Toscanaluce by Nameeks G208 Towel Bar - TOSCANALUCE G208-AR
$268.99 | Hayneedle
48'' x 48'' Black & Red Alphabet Four-Ply Organic Blanket
$89.99 | zulily
Elegant Lighting Pendant Lights 28 Light Chandelier Chrome Finish Golden Teak
Home Depot
Constellation 27 Outdoor by Nemo
$253.80 | Lumens