moss campion...flowering

dougak(alaska5)April 26, 2005

Hey folks, I have a nice collection of several moss campion cushion plants...I love the vibrant green leaves, but how do I make them flower? They have been in the same location for a few years now so they shouldnt' be stressed. Thanks in advance for anyones advice-doug in alaska

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alpiner(Albertaz3)

My moss campions are also unco-operative little beasties. I have maybe a dozen plants and about 3/4s will produce flowers...some prolifically...others just a couple of buds. Right about now I give them a meal of diluted flower food...and keep them moderately moist. Definitely more moist than most alpines so I spot water them. The ones in full sun flower best.

Moss Campion seems to have the same sporadic flowering behavior in our nearby Rockies. There can be hundreds of plants in bloom among thousands for no reason that I can fuigure out.

Just a note: I don't like the plants that produce a zillion blooms but rather those that have no more than a dozen or so at a time. The fewer blooms show up nicely against the green cushion background. Also, they are a bit quirky 'when' they flower. Mine will start in about 2 weeks but there will be the odd bloom here and there throughout the summer.

Bookmark   May 2, 2005 at 8:52PM
More Discussions
Xeric gardening 101 help - Agave
Dear Friends, If I have posted on a wrong forum please...
mountaingrown
Sempervivium coming out of winter dormancy
I'm in Vermont and greens signs of spring are only...
vermontgirl
Hens and Chickens help
I have had these under this step for over 15 years....
nauset
Why is this happening
I have a Fraser Fir tree in very rich black soil (lot...
crazyraisin
about flower
want to know all about it..anybody can help
hmerrillb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™