pictures posted

AlliYum(z5b IL)July 12, 2006

Hi Folks--

I posted a couple of pictures in the Gallery of this year's garlic crop. It seemed early to be digging them up but they were nicely formed and ready to come out. I think for once I got them out on time instead of too late like I usually do.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glock(z5 PA)

Hi alliyum . Were your tops still green or did you let the tops die back?
I've harvested two of mine (couldn't wait) and they seem to be ready but my tops are just starting to die back i'd say like 1/4 of the tops are brown.
I'm only in my second year growing garlic and my patch is doing great. Twice the size of last year.
I do love home grown garlic.
PEACE.

Bookmark   July 16, 2006 at 2:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AlliYum(z5b IL)

Hi Glock--

I have always tended to wait too long before harvest and would find the heads well-developed but with hardly any layers to protect them. I figure I usually lose 1 or 2 layers when I clean them up before putting them into storage so I favor having at least 4 layers intact when I harvest.

I think this year I've done better than previous years. The only exception was the Italian Purple, which I let go too long again so it's getting eaten fresh. So the short answer to your question is yes, the greens are still green--at least the top ones are. The heads look well-developed so I don't think I grabbed them too soon although most of them could have stayed in the ground another week. Then again, since we had a high of 99 today, I'm rather glad the harvesting is done :).

Bookmark   July 16, 2006 at 8:35PM
More Discussions
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
Redwing vs Ruby Ring
Hello, does anybody have experience with both of the...
galinas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™