Will this work

indianaplantlover(6)May 24, 2009

I am truly new at this. I absolutely love rock. When friends or relatives travel the world they bring me rocks instead of souveniers. I have lots of nice size beautiful rocks from all over the country. I want to use them in my yard. Now, can I just make a pile of dirt, cover it with sand, place my rocks in a way I like to see them and plant some hen and chicks in between them? It seems to easy but I work 2 jobs and don't get lots of time in the yard to work. If this won't work can you please tell me the easiest way to display my beautiful rocks.Thank you in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lantanascape(z6 Idaho)

I would think about getting some larger rocks to make a "foundation". Otherwise when you water, the soil will run down off the mound. I am guessing that most of your specimen rocks are smaller, and you wouldn't want them covered with soil, anyway.

Here is a photo of my rock garden, to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. It will take awhile for hens and chicks to fill in. You might consider adding some other plants such as thyme (which also smells great) to help hold it all together.

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 11:16PM
More Discussions
Amazing...
wow! great
Manoj Krishnan
Is this soil mix good for rock garden, and these plants???
This Wednesday a truck full of 25-to-30 200lbs moss...
rinomanfroni
Can you grow Sempervivum from seed?
I am in the process of starting a rock garden around...
kim31kim
Where do you all get your rocks?
I am rock crazy. Just ask my husband. On a recent trip...
Karen in 4
happy gold quad and few other.
I am sorry, I post in the wrong forum. How do I delete...
ltran54
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™