Lava rock over weed-barrier fabric 'garden'

LibbyLizMay 7, 2006

I'm turning my south to west-facing garden, that loses plants due to the heat, into a sitting area for a park bench & stepping "stones" leading from the front sidewalk to the bench.

There's about 1-foot of space on both sides of the bench so I'm going to put/leave plants there & on down to where the "garden" ends.

I'm using tall plants in the back next to the bench, then medium in front of that & short in front of that, & on one side, next to the lawn, I'm thinking of using all groundcover. There'll be plenty of room to enter/exit the "garden" for using the bench.

I'm thinking of using only perennials because having dealt with weed-barrier fabric & rocks before, it's not easy finding holes from previous plants/making holes for new ones amongst the rocks & it's not pretty getting dirt mixed with the lava rock. Does all/only perennials sound fine because of such?

I'm thinking of putting perennial groundcover under the bench. Does that sound okay? Or would it be a bother getting under the bench to prune?

Thanks to all in advance for replying!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
LibbyLiz

Nevermind the question 'cause I notice posts haven't gone responded to since then & 'cause hubby's decided to put down brick expect for a 1-ft edge on both sides, so I can plant whatever I want there, without worrying about weed-barrier. =)

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Amazing...
wow! great
Manoj Krishnan
Can you grow Sempervivum from seed?
I am in the process of starting a rock garden around...
kim31kim
flagstone in the rock garden
I'm considering adding flagstone to my rock garden....
ensete2002
Calceolaria Darwinii(uniflora)
Hey guys, i was just wondering if anyone had or knew...
bonsaimaster1
using a cold frame
Hi,just getting into alpines,not bothered about a greenhouse...
mambrino
Sponsored Products
Hammered Polished Copper Hose Pot - With Lid
Signature Hardware
Medallion Garden Rug 7'9" x 9'9"
$2,099.00 | Horchow
Devon Window Box
Grandin Road
6' Red Cedar Backed Bench
Fifthroom.com
Motion Activated Solar Security Light
$119.50 | FRONTGATE
Winter garden wreath napkins, set of 6 (red/green)
Origin Crafts
Handcrafted Ningbo Patio Oriental Garden Stool
Overstock.com
Pinwheel Suspension
Lightology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™