Shallots: What size for planting??

gponder(7/South OR)August 29, 2005

It seems I read somewhere that the smaller shallot bulbs were preferable for planting. Does anyone know what size shallot bulb I should save for planting? For garlic I always save the largest clove. Is it the same for shallots? It seems like it should be. Anyway, I would really appreciate your input on this as planting time is near.

Thanks in advance!

Glenda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

Glenda,
Eat the big ones. Plant the smallest. The bigger the sets, the more, and littler, will be the ones you harvest.
Actually, if you plant seeds, you will get the largest shallots when you harvest, however, I feel that seed planted shallots don't store well, at least here where its hot.

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 12:17AM
gponder(7/South OR)

Coho:
Thanks for the info.Am I right with my thinking that you should plant the largest garlic clove to get the largest head? Also any tips for getting big cloves and heads? I planted gray shallots for the first time last year but the resulting cloves were pretty small. Thanks again.
Glenda

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 11:43AM
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

Do a search for garlic fertilizer. Perhaps one just garlic.There is a great deal of information.
There is a general feeling that you plant the biggest cloves from the biggest heads. you will do ok if you plant the biggest cloves from medium large heads. I have seen a comerical statement that you should plant only cloves from medium heads. I do both.
Lots of compost to loosen your soil unless you have Oregon sand. Then lots of compost to retain moisture and provide food for the garlic and shallots.
The only way to get bigger shallots is to plant smaller "sets" Even medium sets have many sprouts hidden in the sets. I am considering sprouting a few sets and then trying to divide them into singles and transplant. Kind of doubt it will work.

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 8:38PM
More Discussions
Transplanting Leeks into Garden
I am in Northern VA, zone 7a and started leeks in my...
charlieboring
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
Garlic green die back?
So my garlic bulbs must have sprouted in November during...
urban_will
Newbie to garlic growing
I would like to try a variety of bulbs this fall. Anyone...
Sunnygran55
'Moritz' egyptian onion?
I thought I would try posting this again since it has...
shane11
Sponsored Products
Original Shallot & Sage Dressing
$72.00 | Horchow
Red 4.5-Qt. Covered Dutch Oven
$33.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™