weed control in onion bed

daisyaday31(z7 NE AL)August 25, 2005

Is it safe to use a pre-emergence herbacide in my onion bed prior to planting sets?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
username_5(banned for no reason)

safe for what? Safe for the onions? Yes. Safe for your consumption? You would have to read the label and if it says so, then ask yourself if you trust that info.

Some folks use corn gluten, sometimes available at feed stores as an organic pre-emergent. I would trust that to be safe to eat since it is just part of the corn kernel, but pretty much anything else I would avoid in food crop areas. That is just me though.

Bookmark   August 25, 2005 at 11:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tonitime(Z-6a / E.KY)

I grow many beds of alliums, and do not need any herbicide. I mulch with thick, loose organic matter and leave that on thru winter and summer. Any weeds that do come thru can be plucked out easily. The sides of my berm beds are covered with paper and several inches of mulch, too.
I agree with username's perspective, and used corn gluten on beds that had more soil/sun exposure. It worked pretty well for the first try. A good thing to use where such as Sunberry or Yarrow have gone to seed before i got a grip on the beds!!
Anytime i can avoid a "cide" in the gardens that i feed the family from, the better. Just another opinion.

Bookmark   September 8, 2005 at 9:27PM
More Discussions
onion cipolla giarratana
i would like to grow this veriety but can not find...
bee456
Garlic powder as squirrel repellent?
I finally got my garlic planted yesterday and along...
OldDutch
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
If it looks like a leek, and smells like a leek...
I have what I feel like may be a stupid question. We...
MaryBeth Hostetler
Reasons to Grow Your Own Onions?
We consume some onions and we buy them from local farmer's...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™