planting garlic from cloves?

fluteseeAugust 9, 2006

Can I plant the cloves from the garlic bought at the grocery store? I have some in my fridge that I haven't had a chance to use, and it has sprouts! I've never let garlic hang around that long, and I didn't know it would do that. I've had a basic veggie garden for the past couple of years, and this is the first year that I've had onions, leeks, and scallions. I've been reading posts by others, and it seems that if I want to plant garlic (and I do want to) that it is best to do it this fall if I want to harvest it next year. Can someone give me some pointers?

Thanks so much,

Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenlad(6b KY)

Chris, I answered this where you posted it on the other thread. You might want to check there.

And, yes, fall planting is the most common practice.

Garlic is a heavy feeder. So amend the soil heavily (I use dried blood, bonemeal, and wood ashes, applies at the rate of 1 cup per row foot, plust compost) before planting. And long about May, sidedress with the same amendments.

I would recommend, too, that you read some of the backpages to pick up insights into growing and harvesting garlic.

Bookmark   August 10, 2006 at 9:22AM
flutesee

Gardenlad,
Thanks so much for your help. You are one of the ones I was referring to on the other thread. I'm a little envious of those of you that have the space for major gardening, but in a suburb of NYC, space is at a premium (plus, my husband would lose his mind if I took up any more of the backyard!)

Bookmark   August 10, 2006 at 12:28PM
gardenlad(6b KY)

Chris, there's always a way to grow what you want.

Growing up in Brooklyn, we grew herbs and veggies in flowerpots on the fire escape. When we moved to Queens I had a small patch (smaller than your current one) that was mine, for veggies.

When we lived in Illinois I had a garden that was only 20 x 20 feet, not much bigger than yours. But you'd be surprised what you can grow in a space like that.

Give some thought to intensive growing techniques and companion planting and you'll maximize the use of that space.

I don't think I would grow both Shvelisi and Music. One or the other of those. On average, hardneck varieties produce about 60 cloves per pound. So you might take that into account for planning purposes.

Given your space, I would think in terms of block planting, rather than row planting. And follow up the garlic with something like bush beans or brassicas.

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 7:13AM
More Discussions
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
redsun9
WANTED: Onion Seeds to Start in Winter (Good in Zone 6)
Not very picky in particularly since this is my first...
redsun9
Redwing vs Ruby Ring
Hello, does anybody have experience with both of the...
galinas
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™