Need Ideas

josie23(5)June 2, 2006

If I am posting in the wrong topic please direct me to the correct one.

I have a bed the runs along the east side of my garage, and it is very dry. Even when I water it. I want to take out what is there and change it over to an "arid" bed. Meaning drought tolerant plants that look cool.

I have access to some perennial cactus, and I thought I may add a yucca or 2, but what other zone 5 perennials or annuals would fit this arid motif?

It gets sun in the morning. Right now daylilies are surviving, but my rhubarb which was place there 9 years ago as a tempory home are dying and getting smaller and smaller each year. It is time to give it a major face lifg.

Thanks, J

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leftwood(z4a MN)

I am assuming then, that it gets at least a half day's sun.

Of course any sedum, sempervivum or jovibarba should do well. Surprisingly many penstemons do well in dry also, although the motif will take a turn for the different. Also prairie plants in general from short or mid grass ecosystems too. They are the drier prairies, and naturally have roots that grow way, way, way down. Some of the grasses, like blue grama (Bouteloua gracilis) or little bluestem (Schizachyrium scoparium) might look good. Of the prairie flowers, Silky aster (Aster sericeus)would look cool. Wiry stems on a short 2ft or less plant with sparsely set silvery leaves. It does not spread underground.

Rick

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Fairy, gnome miniature gardens
Is anyone using alpines in miniature container gardens?...
Fleur
where to buy this dianthus
Hello! I lost all of these mini dianthus plants over...
dahlia6
flagstone in the rock garden
I'm considering adding flagstone to my rock garden....
ensete2002
Sempervivium coming out of winter dormancy
I'm in Vermont and greens signs of spring are only...
vermontgirl
Lewisia cotyledon
I have Lewisia cotyledon Elise since two years: I already...
yroux
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™