Garlic problems

Pink_Petunia(3a Cnd)August 8, 2005

My garlic once again did not form cloves. What is my soil lacking as a result of this?

Thankfully, garlic grows beautifully at my mom's and I can get my winter supply from her.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glock(z5 PA)

Did you plant it last fall?

Bookmark   August 8, 2005 at 9:41PM
frogy(4 iowa)

more info is needed.wat verriety did you plant?wat zone are you in?when did you plant it?when did you dig it?we can start from there

Bookmark   August 8, 2005 at 11:21PM
Pink_Petunia(3a Cnd)

I am more interested in how to ammend my soil so garlic will grow properly - manure? nitrogen? etc. My mom plants the same and her's are awesome. Don't ask me what variety b/c she has saved her own from year to year.

Bookmark   August 11, 2005 at 4:43PM
username_5(banned for no reason)

I am more interested in how to ammend my soil so garlic will grow properly - manure? nitrogen? etc.

Respectfully you have only told us your cloves don't form bulbs. You are being asked to provide specific information to try and help determine why that might be.

It may not be your soil that is the problem at all.

Garlic likes rich, moist soil. That is all there is to it. Amend well with compost, fertilze regularly during the growing season (every couple weeks) and keep well watered, but not swampy.

Leave the garlic in the ground until the tops brown and die back and then harvest.

If you would care to provide the information others have requested folks will try to assist you.

Bookmark   August 13, 2005 at 1:28AM
Nelz(z5b/6 NW PA)

One of the most important question we need an answer to is:

When did you plant your garlic?

Other things to look at are what are the differences in care you and your mother provide?

Because someone else gets cloves and you don't, doesn't automatically point to one problem. It could be one, or a couple or a combination of several.

Is your mom in teh same zone, does she plant at the same time, same depth? Is the garlic cared for the same once in the ground? Mulched, watered, weeded, fertilized, the same?

There are MANY variables beyond soil condition.

Bookmark   August 13, 2005 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
Multiplier Onions - Spring vs Fall Planting
Zone 5, Madison WI area. I'm growing an old variety...
skeip
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
Garlic powder as squirrel repellent?
I finally got my garlic planted yesterday and along...
OldDutch
How do you pronounce Ailsa?
As in the "Ailsa Craig" onion variety Winter...
bakerhardwoods
Garlic with Rust - what would you do?
I do not intend to destroy the plants, I am resigned...
CathyCA Zone10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™