What to do with tiny onions?

UncleJohn(z4 NH)August 27, 2005

My onion harvest this summer was pretty pathetic. I did not invest enough well water during our very dry summer, and the onion size suffered as a result. These were mostly grown from seed, and I am wondering if I should try and keep some of them through until next April and plant them as onion sets. If that is a viable plan, what is the largest onion I should use for a set?

I am not sure how much using them as sets will buy me, as I am fairly confident that if I start from seed earlier next year (end of January), and keep them watered, particularly in June and July, my harvest will be up to par.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
username_5(banned for no reason)

Your onion sets will be 2nd year onions and will only be interested in going to seed.

Why not pickle them? Quarter size and under are great picklers.

Bookmark   August 27, 2005 at 7:52PM
coho(z8/9 N. Calif)

You could also use them as scallions, just don't wait too long to use them, unless you want to save seed.

Bookmark   August 29, 2005 at 12:24AM
catherine_nm

I have been reading about growing my own sets, and you could indeed save any smaller than a nickle to use as sets next spring. If they are held at temperatures above 55 degrees F for a month or so before planting, they won't bolt to seed right away. Larger onions (quarter size or larger) will bolt to seed, and those stored in cold storage and not held at warmer temperatures before planting will bolt.

Hey, try it with a few and see if it works. If nothing else, you can save seed and plant fresh the next winter.

Catherine

Bookmark   September 23, 2005 at 5:58PM
tyshee(Z 3 & 4)

If onions are a nice little ball size, I blanch them and freeze them. They are very nice for serving with pot roast or other things you want to dress up. I also found that if you just leave them in the ground for the winter they will make a larger onion. This works with both seed started and sets.

Bookmark   September 25, 2005 at 8:36AM
More Discussions
Saving Onion Seed
Last spring I picked a few of the best onions I had...
steve333_gw
Potassium for Root Development
When planting your fall garlic, what source of potassium...
Ricko1
How Many Varieties of Garlic Chives?
I'm not sure if there are specific varieties of the...
redsun9
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™