Columbine seeds

elissabeeJuly 21, 2007

I recently harvested the seeds from my many Columbine plants. I'd like to plant the seeds in some other places on my property. Should I drop the seeds now or wait until the Spring? I'd also like to reseed the existing plants as well. When is the best time to do it? Seems the plants themselves are dropping them naturally now, but I'd like to give the seeds the best chance for nice growth next year, which is why I'm thinking after the winter would be better. Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tracyvine(6 NE Ohio)

elissa

Hi, last year I dropped seeds in the fall right before it got cold. I didn't do this with columbine but did drop coneflower and balloon flower. This was in the middle of a large ring of rocks and was relatively sheltered from frost and harsh winds over the winter. This area did see plenty of snowfall, up to 12 inches at times. Everything sprouted wonderfully for me this spring. I received dozens of great healthy balloon flower and smaller than normal echinaceas but still healthy.

I think if I were you I would go ahead and sow, just make sure to mulch heavily over them as the foliage browns out in the fall. This should help protect the roots. If you are uncertain then just sow half of them and keep the others until spring.

I hope this helps!

Tracy

Bookmark   July 24, 2007 at 11:26PM
More Discussions
rocks without dirt?
Hello. I don't exactly have a rock garden but I need...
adidas
Sempervivium coming out of winter dormancy
I'm in Vermont and greens signs of spring are only...
vermontgirl
Fairy, gnome miniature gardens
Is anyone using alpines in miniature container gardens?...
Fleur
Source for plants in RI/CT/MA?
I'm wondering if anyone knows of some sources for alpine,...
bill_ri_z6b
happy gold quad and few other.
I am sorry, I post in the wrong forum. How do I delete...
ltran54
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™