Allium Summer Drummer

debbiecz3(z3MB)August 12, 2014

I would like to add another ornamental allium to my garden and wonder if any one could comment on Summer Drummer. Currently I have the varieties Globemaster, Christophi, and Purple Sensation. I love how the alliums bridge the gap between the spring and summer garden. Thanks for any input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
planatus(6)

My garden is too windy for these big ornamental alliums, but this spring I saw an awesome display garden that combined them with lavenders. Very nice.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 7:01AM
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska(5)

I've got Christophi, Purple Sensation and Drumstick (18" high, 1" blooms). I'm noticing that each year I have a few less come up. I'm not sure why.
I love the way Allium bridges the gap as well. I also love the unique shape and color. I'm always trying to talk my neighbors into planting it. One asked me if she could eat it. No! Why would you eat such a beautiful flower?! ha
Heidi

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 4:38PM
debbiecz3(z3MB)

Hi Heidi. I wonder if your alliums need dividing? My bulb book recommends digging up the bulbs every 8-10 years, throwing out the old bulbs and thinning out the patch. Maybe they get crowded and don't bloom so well. I've noticed my Globemaster is getting shorter but I'm thinking it might be a hardiness issue. Christophi is rated higher than my zone 3 but has lasted for 4 years so far. I would replant if I lose them because I really love them.
Debbie.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
why are my shallots soo small
I planted really nice sized shallots last fall. I would...
kmatcek
Onion suggestion
I am thinking about buying onion transplants for next...
Peter1142
Reasons to Grow Your Own Onions?
We consume some onions and we buy them from local farmer's...
redsun9
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
Grow Own Onion Sets?
Just wonder if it is a good idea to grow own onion...
redsun9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™