Fall planting white sweet onion plants: your experiences?

blueberrier1August 29, 2010

Bought a bunch of 'white sweet onion' plants (3/16-3/4" diam.), at Lowes a few days ago. They also had cole plants that I plan to try. Have never seen fall onion plants in this zone before, but feel the green onions will be a spcial Thanksgiving treat.

Would you suggest blood meal, kelp, etc for the fall crop? What diseases in fall? It is still in high 80s here-so should I shade them? Any other suggestions for max success? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brookw_gw

My best gardens are usually my fall gardens. Fall green onions are very easy to do. I always put back a couple hundred sets I buy dirt cheap at the end of spring, store them in my fridge, and plant them about now. They are milder growing in the cooling down fall than the warming up spring. I fertilize well for the spring crops because I'm looking more for bulbs but do not for the fall since I'm only looking at green onions.

Brook

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 10:51AM
blueberrier1

Thanks, Brook. Per your advice, I will plant these in the former potato bed to keep these green onion size. Like you, I have keept extra sets in frig for fall, and had fair results, but am hoping these sweet onion plants are indeed sweet. The sweetest green onions I have ever eaten are the ones from my potato onions in the spring.

Today, I got an email from Southern Exposure, and included was a Fall/Winter Veg Gard Quick reference suitable for Zone 6b/Ctrl VA. Printed it for my notebook and will forward it to you if you like, as your zone is probably similar. They list suggested planting dates for many crops.

They also mention an EvergreenHardy White Green Onion,Deep Purple. Have to research that one. They say, the colder the winter, the more purple color. No mention regarding flavor.
mj

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 10:44PM
cindy_eatonton

Does anyone know of a source to find onion sets for this fall? I'm in middle GA and would love to plant sets for winter and spring onions - wish I'd thought of this like BrookW earlier this year. Most of the usual seedhouses don't seem to have any sets for sale...

Thanks,
Cindy

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
Planting harneck garlic in spring (zone 2b)
Life got in the way of getting my garlic in this past...
macky77
dislike the new format, how about you?
YUCK, do not care for the new format. Had a ton of...
kristincarol
Allium unifolium or something else
I want to try growing Allium unifolium. I found a company's...
Polypompholyx
What garlics to start with
I grew some supermarket garlic this spring - it didn't...
JoppaRich
Farmer's Market Hardnech vs. Softneck Garlic
I just notice that the garlic we bought recently from...
RedSun (Zone 6, NJ)
Sponsored Products
Silk Ficus 7-foot Tree
Overstock.com
1900 Stacking Arm Chair - Set of 2 - Fermob
$962.00 | HORNE
David Bromstad Blue "Flowers in Unity" Artwork
Grandin Road
Desierto I Porcelain Jewelry Holder
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Droog | Swing with the Plants
YLiving.com