Creole garlic in Florida

kanaka_nui(9)August 6, 2006

In late April I ordered a Creole garlic sampler from gourmet garlic and am eagerly awaiting mid Sept. arrival. I've never grown garlic my self here in Florida (zone 8b/9). Did grow some along time ago in a galaxy far,far away...well, Seattle WA when I lived there years ago.

I garden with self-sufficiency in mind, and so I'd prefer not to order 25-30$/lb seed garlic every year. Mostly I'm just cheap,except with my gardening.

What would be a good strategy for for maximizing my seed? I'm willing to have small harvests for a few years if it means plenty of seed garlic to keep me going.

Are creoles easily propagated by bulbils? Do I need to consider vernalization if I grow from small cloves or bulbils? Like in a fridge for brewing beer in the hot FL climate 55 F or so?

I'm not real confident about growing garlic where the winter are so mild.My father grew garlic in Tallahassee,FL for years, but he hasn't gardened in a while and can't recall the type other than he saved it from year to year for a long time.

Thanx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pnbrown

You may find someone at the florida forum who knows more about garlic in florida.

Bookmark   August 12, 2006 at 8:44AM
More Discussions
Why do you grow walking (top setting) onions?
I have grown them on and off over the years. IMHO They...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Do oriental alliums (globe master, etc) have flimsy leaves?
it has been raining pretty good and none of my other...
pinkkpearls
Potato onion's free/trade
Hello I have some small left over sets I will not be...
travis2
Hottest garlic?
This year I planted trials of nine new varieties of...
hortster
onion cipolla giarratana
i would like to grow this veriety but can not find...
bee456
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™